Help! How do I order a DataDotDNA Bike Kit? – Click here to order your DataDotDNA Bike Kit.
What do I do if my bike is stolen?
Contact the Police Assistance Line (PAL) on 131 444 to make a stolen report.
In an emergency contact 000
At the crime scene:
DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNTIL A POLICE OFFICER GIVES YOU THE ALL CLEAR (UNLESS IT’S ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL)
If the surfaces in the area are suitable for printing, and a Scene of Crime Officer (SOCO) is available, they will attend to ‘dust’ for prints. The dust they use shows any latent prints, i.e. prints that the naked eye cannot see.
Once they find a print, it is photographed and compared to prints that are on the Police system. You will be contacted by the specially trained officer as soon as practicable to arrange a time for fingerprinting.
CONTACT YOUR INSURER
Contact your insurer without delay. Have your policy number and relevant details ready.
CONTACT THE NATIONAL BIKE REGISTER
We will ask you for images of your bike, identifying features that you may not have included in the Register, details of the theft for broadcast in our Gallery of Stolen Bikes and across social media sites. The sooner we can distribute information about your bike, the faster the cycling community can be alerted and therefore the greater the chance of beating the thieves and recovering your bike – phone 02 8977 4900 (8:30am to 5:00pm, Mon-Fri) or
KEEP YOUR PROPERTY SAFE
Thousands of bikes are stolen every year in Australia, and it’s not only important to do what you can to protect your valuable assets, but also provide information for investigators in the event that they recover a stolen bike.
There are some basic steps we can all take to protect our property from theft.
- Record all details of your bike, components and equipment – including serial numbers, make and model numbers – add as much of this information as possible to the fields in the NBR.
- If possible keep photographs of your bike and equipment. Keep accurate and updated records within the NBR and keep original receipts.
- Use the DataDot Theft Deterrent System to deter thieves from targeting your bike – apply DataDots to all valuable or easily removable items, such as derailleur, computer, forks and equipment in at least 3 or 4 inconspicuous areas.
- Fit an anti-theft device to your bike – use a quality lock.
- Secure your vehicle in a well-lit and highly visible area.
- Report any suspicious behaviour occurring around bikes to Police – call Crime Stoppers on 131 444.
- If possible, store your bike in a locked garage, secured facility or bike stall.
- If the bike is stored at home, lock it up out of sight.
- If possible utilise sensor lighting where the bike is stored.
- Store the bike in a place that is not easily accessible without a key.
- Consider removing one wheel.
- Secure the bike to a solid object with a good quality chain and lock.
Finally, choose a good insurer.
For any help relating to your DataDotDNA or the National Bike Register, please contact DataDot Technology Ltd on 1300 300 829 (in Australia).